More frequently asked questions (FAQ): “How do I apply for my Salesperson License?” and “Do I have to pass the required prelicensing course before I can take the NYS Licensing Examination?” You apply online for your initial Salesperson License. First, create an eAccessNY account (directions below). Second, once you have established an eAccessNY account follow the steps below to complete your initial salesperson license application. Click on the above button to link directly with NYS DOS website. NYS DOS has resumed giving license examinations as of July 6, 2020 adhering to COVID-19 protocols. It is not necessary to have completed the 75 Hour PreLicensing Course before taking the licensing exam. However you must complete the required PreLicensing course and required course examination BEFORE applying for your initial license.
Click on the above button to link directly with NYS DOS website. Instructions were taken directly from New York State Department of State website.
How do I create an account as a first time applicant?
You should select the link on the Department’s website (www.dos.ny.gov) entitled”eAccessNY.” Once on the eAccessNY page, select the link “Create My Account” which is under “Options:”. (This link will take you to the eAccessNY “Create Account” page.
On the Create Account page, enter your details and press “Preview” to continue. Press “Save” to save the registration. Press “Change” to change the registration details or press “Cancel” to cancel the registration and return to the Create Account page. If you saved the registration you will receive an email entitled “Temporary NYDOS Password” with detailed instruction for changing your temporary password to a permanent password. After you change the password you will be able to apply for the exam.
Apply to Take an Exam:
Q: How do I apply to take either a sales or broker exam?
If you do not already have an account, you will need to create an account. Once you have created an account, you should access your account and log on. From the Main Menu, click on “Apply to Take an Exam” and then follow the instructions. Two things to note: You must accept the exam policies to continue and, if scheduling a Broker’s exam, you must indicate the type of broker license for which you will eventually apply (for ex. Individual, Corporate, Partnership, etc).
Q: How can I get my exam details again if I forgot to print my confirmation page?
Log on to your account. From the Main Menu, click on “View Scheduled Exam Details.”
To apply for an initial salesperson license online, perform the following steps: You must have successfully completed the required 75 Hour Salesperson PreLicensing Course BEFORE you apply for you Initial Salesperson License including passing the required course examination.
- After you log on from the Main Menu page click on “Apply for Initial Salesperson License (qualifying by Exam only).”
- Press “Next Step’ to continue.
- Enter your details and press “Next Step” to continue.
- Enter the sponsoring broker license number (UID#). When typing the UID# of brokers, using upper case for any alpha characters is required (i.e., 31BR9999110).
- Find the correct broker license that matches the company name and address and select that office by clicking on the circle in front of the desired office and address and then press “Next Step” to continue.
- Enter all required information and press “Next Step” to continue.
- Enter the name of the school by using the dropdown menu and enter the completion date of the pre-licensing course and press “Next Step” to continue.
- Affirm the application by checking the “I Agree” box at the bottom of the page and press “Next Step” to continue.
- Enter your credit card details and press “Submit” only once to submit your payment.
- Print the “Summary of Your Submission” page.
- Press “Return to Main Menu.”
Your principal broker must log on to their personal online account and authorize your application. After the broker authorizes your application the Department of State will review your application to make sure it is complete and meets the qualifications for a real estate salesperson license.
Upon successful review of your application by our office, your license will be mailed to your business address.