315-432-1045 info@pccsyr.com

On February 5, 2021 the NYS Senate passed S2132-B increasing required training for real estate brokers and real estate salespeople to prevent discrimination.  The bill is currently in front of the NYS Assembly A5359 the Assembly bill is the same as the Senate version.  Click on the bill number to view the actual bill.  The law, as proposed, would increase the number of course hours required for a NY Real Estate Broker License from the current one hundred and twenty hours (75 hours salesperson plus 45 hours broker) to one hundred and fifty-two hours.  Effectively increasing the NY Real Estate Broker Prelicensing Course from 45 hours to 75 hours.  To become law the Assembly will have to pass the bill and the Governor will have to sign the bill passed by both the Senate and the Assembly.  The effective date of the bill depends upon the date the Governor signs it.  The current language is “This act shall take effect on the first of July next succeeding the date on which it shall become law” S2132B.  If you are considering getting a NY Real Estate Broker License now might be a really good time to get started, while you would only need 45 hours of instruction.  We have classroom (in person & virtual via Zoom®) NY Real Estate Broker Courses starting May 3 and June 14 that run Mon-Thu 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM for two weeks. 

How to obtain a NYS Real Estate Broker License (from the NYS Department of State Division of Licensing Services webpage): “In order to qualify for licensure as a real estate broker, an applicant must have at least two years of experience as a licensed real estate salesperson or at least three years of experience in the general real estate field ,or a combination of the both, meet the minimum points required for the experience type, (e.g., buying and selling your own property, managing property owned by your employer), have satisfactorily completed both the qualifying salesperson course of 75 hours and an additional 45-hour real estate broker course as approved by the Secretary of State, and have passed a qualifying examination administered by the Department of State. Please see application instructions for more detailed information. Please see application instructions for more detailed information.”